The UWC offers a series of workshops to help graduate students enhance their communication skills.
The weekly workshops, lead by UWC consultants and visiting speakers, are part of the G.R.A.D. Aggies Professional Development Certificate,
offered by OGAPS.
Students participating in the certificate program will be able to earn one Professional Development Unit (PDU) toward their certificate when they attend one of the workshops and successfully complete the required follow-up assignment, which will be posted on eCampus for up to one month following the workshop.
The workshops are held Mondays from 7 to 8 p.m. during the fall and spring semesters. We meet in Evans Library, Room 211 unless otherwise noted.
Registration for each workshop will open one week before the event.
Graduate Workshop Schedule Spring 2016
- 2/6/17 Abstracts -- Learn how to write both informative and descriptive abstracts that will make your fellow scholars want to read more. We'll also share tips on meeting your word count. This event will be open to all students, including undergraduates preparing for Student Research Week. Register here.
- 2/13/17 Interviewing with Dr. Katie Stober -- The Career Center's Dr. Katie Stober will share strategies on how to present yourself in professional job interviews. She'll focus in particular on how to answer difficult questions. Register here.
- 2/20/17 Grant Writing -- Make your grant proposals stand out with our tips on how to find and appeal to a specific audience. We'll discuss how to tailor grants, where to find them, and the process of getting them written. Register here.
- 2/27/17 Preparing for Your Defense -- Dr. Valerie Balester, assistant provost and executive director of both the UWC and the Academic Success Center, will discuss the basic elements of defending your thesis or dissertation. She'll help you learn how to present yourself as a scholar in your field, as awell as how to craft an original contribution to a larger body of knowledge. Register here.
- 3/6/17 Presentation Design -- Whether you're creating a presentation for a class or getting ready to defend your dissertation, these tips will help you clearly present your information while also engaging your audience. This workshop is open to all students, and undergraduates preparing for Student Research Week are encouraged to attend. Note that this event will be held in Evans Room 204E. Register here.
- 3/20/17 -- Managing Deadlines -- Dr. Candace Hastings, director of the UWC, will discuss how to develop good writing strategies and habits to help you overcome writer's block and stay organized when completing longer writing projects. Register here.