Words of Wisdom
You cannot hope to sweep someone else away by the force of your writing until it has been done to you.
The University Writing Center, a unit of Undergraduate Studies, supports writing and public speaking for every Texas A&M student, with particular emphasis on supporting Writing and Communication courses.
- To help graduate and undergraduate students practice the habits of mature composers of written and oral communication.
- To provide resources for faculty and Graduate Assistant Teachers for integrating best writing and oral communication pedagogy into courses across the disciplines and in the core curriculum.
The University Writing Center respects and addresses students’ learning differences. We celebrate language diversity and growth, emphasizing the value and recognition of Global Englishes. Above all, we seek to provide a safe space of encouragement in the development of communication processes for every Aggie, affirming the multitudes of their backgrounds and experiences.
We embrace the university’s diversity initiatives and continually assess our progress to maintain accountability to and recognition of our unique Aggie community. We work to foster a safe and welcoming environment by:
- Attending national and regional conferences to learn about diversity, inclusion, equity, accessibility, and learning in higher education including the National Conference on Race and Ethnicity (NCORE), the International Writing Centers Association (IWCA), and the National Conference on Peer Tutoring in Writing (NCPTW);
- Using the knowledge that we gain at these events to inform the ongoing training we conduct for our professional and tutoring staff;
- Incorporating marginalized voices into our tutor training curriculum;
- Amplifying marginalized voices, social justice perspectives, and Global Englishes through our multiple social media platforms;
- Actively recruiting professional and tutoring staff from underrepresented populations;
- Employing an ESL/ELL Specialist who conducts regular staff trainings for our consultants and collaborates with The Center for Teaching Excellence’s English Language Proficiency (ELP) program and the Office of Graduate and Professional Studies;
- Emphasizing the best practices for creating course materials using the elements of universal design;
- Serving on university-level committees related to diversity and inclusion, such as the Academic Affairs Climate and Diversity Committee (AACDC), the African American Professional Organization (AAPO), and the University Staff Council;
- Completing certifications, trainings, and courses such as the College Reading and Learning Association program, Aggie Allies (supporting the LGBTQIA community), Step in Stand Up (supporting victims of sexual assault), QPR (suicide prevention), and Green Dot (ending violence).
The University Writing Center helps give Texas A&M students a voice—and that means all y’all.