Words of Wisdom
The best way to sound like you know what you're talking about is to know what you're talking about.
The Dissertation Article and Thesis Assistance program (DATA) is designed to support graduate students working on a thesis, dissertation, or article for publication. Undergraduates working on an undergraduate thesis are also welcome to apply. Students in the DATA program are paired with the same consultant for up to ten 45-minute sessions.The DATA program asks the student to commit to a handful of meeting times during their inital session, which we call the "zero session" because it does not count toward the limit of ten. During the zero session, the student may request to conduct future appointments in a variety of formats: face-to-face, asynchronously, or synchronously using our video conference platform.
During DATA you will:
commit to an appointment calendar that works with your schedule (once a week or twice a week)
work independently between consultations to make progress and improve your skills
learn to set personal writing goals
learn revising and proofreading techniques
learn effective writing habits
Handouts for DATA
Ground Rules for DATA Applicants
- We prefer that your deadline is no less than one month away because it can take up to two weeks to begin setting up appointments with your consultant. If you have a short deadline, it is better to make regular appointments.
- If you cannot make an appointment, you must cancel the session in our scheduling system at least 8 hours before the scheduled meeting time. An appointment that is not canceled will be considered a missed session and will count against the ten-session maximum.
- It is your responsibility to work independently on your writing between each meeting.
- The consultant will not edit your work line-by-line, but instead provide general help or point out patterns in your writing. If you require a more extensive review, you might want to contact a freelance editor.
- Your consultant may ask you to meet with another consultant, especially in the case of a change in his or her schedule. Your consultant will keep University Writing Center staff informed of your progress to ensure the least possible disruption to your progress.
- Please stay in contact with your consultant or the DATA administrator if you need to take a break from sessions. If you miss two sessions without cancelling, we'll assume you no longer want to participate, and your spot in the program will be given to someone else.
- If you find you need to stop attending sessions but you don't want to give up your spot in the DATA program, email the DATA administrator or the UWC at email@example.com and let us know. We'll put your enrollment on hold and you'll be at the top of the list when you are ready to return.
Interested in joining DATA?
Apply by filling out the DATA registration form. We’ll send you an email confirming your application and pair you with a consultant. If the program has a waiting list when you apply, we'll let you know that as well.
Once you have finished with your DATA sessions, you can continue to work one-to-one with our consultants on an appointment basis, and you can always make additional appointments with our other consultants during your time in DATA, up to one appointment per day.