Words of Wisdom
People will give you all sorts of advice about writing, but if you are not writing something you like, no one else will like it either.
The Dissertation Article and Thesis Assistance program (DATA) is designed to support graduate students working on a thesis, dissertation, or article for publication. Undergraduates working on an undergraduate thesis are also welcome to apply.
DATA participants are paired with the same consultant for up to ten 45-minute sessions. Participants will attend an initial session during which they must commit to at least six meetings. (The initial session doesn't count toward the limit of ten.) You may request to conduct appointments in a variety of formats: face-to-face, email, or video chat via Zoom.
During DATA you will
commit to an appointment calendar that works with your schedule (once a week or twice a week)
work independently between consultations to make progress and improve your skills
learn to set personal writing goals
learn revising and proofreading techniques
learn effective writing habits
Handouts for DATA
Ground Rules for DATA Applicants
- You are allowed a maximum of 10 sessions in the DATA program. You will book the first six appointments during the initial session. At that time, you will also select your preferred appointment types, i.e., face-to-face, email, or video chat.
- You may cancel or re-schedule via phone at 979-458-1455 at least 24 hours in advance of the scheduled session; otherwise, the appointment is counted as “missed.” If you try to cancel DATA appointments without UWC assistance, they will not be cancelled properly, and you will be marked as missing an appointment.
- If you miss or cancel 3 appointments in a row, you will lose your place in the program. To re-instate your status, you will need to re-apply. You will not be guaranteed the same consultant.
- To change a scheduled session type (face-to-face to online, for example), call the UWC at 979-458-1455 at least 24 hours in advance of the session.
- In the event that the consultant is unexpectedly unavailable (or graduates), you may be paired with a different consultant.
- If you would like to schedule regular UWC appointments in addition to your DATA meetings, you may do so by calling the UWC at 979-458-1455. You will not be able to schedule additional appointments without assistance.
We are no longer accpeting DATA applications for Fall 2019. We will begin processing new applications at the end of the fall semester. Thanks for your interest!
Interested in joining DATA?
Apply by filling out the DATA registration form. We will send you an email confirming your application and pair you with a consultant. If the program has a waiting list when you apply, we will let you know.
Once you have finished with your DATA sessions, you can continue to work one-to-one with our consultants on an appointment basis, and you can always make additional appointments with our other consultants during your time in DATA, up to one appointment per day.