Words of Wisdom
For me, writing is exploration; and most of the time, I'm surprised where the journey takes me.
The University Writing Center offers educational workshops, studios, and resource tables about our services on a limited basis. Because we are primarily student-fee funded, most of our events are for campus organizations, although we can consider other requests if adequate resources are available.
Workshops. CRLA-certified University Writing Center consultants will come to your location and present from the list of workshop topics at the bottom of this page. We strive to make our workshops interactive, and you will find that many involve games, polls, or discussions. Workshops can be geared to undergraduate or graduate audiences. You can view the standard workshop slideshows by clicking on the links below; some customization can be accommodated. Because of high demand, classroom workshops are limited to two per class section, per semester (not including the 'Overview of UWC Services').
Writing or Speaking Studios. CRLA-certified University Writing Center consultant will come to your location to help students while they work on drafts or speech outlines or practice their presentations. As needed, we provide instruction, discussion, and peer response activities. Studios can be set up for multiple meetings. Studios are designed to help students devote more time to their projects and to develop good composing or delivery habits.
Resource Tables. We can set up an information table at your event to familiarize students with the writing center. We can also attend, pass out fliers, organize games related to our services, or answer questions about our services.
Before you request our presence at an event, we request that you read our policies:
- 12-14 business days’ notice is required to schedule in most cases.
- We cannot guarantee the first choice of date.
- An instructor, an assistant, or an organization representative with authority must be present during events.
- For event workshops and presentations outside of class time, we are now limiting requests to groups that ensure audiences of 10 people or more.
- We will email you before the event. To ensure the best experience for participants, we ask that you respond immediately to the email and mention any modifications or changes you’d like to see. If you do not hear from us within five business days confirming your request, please email us at email@example.com.
Workshop Topics for Undergraduates
Workshop Topics for Graduates